Monday, October 23, 2017

Something Old

With all the unpacking you always come across something you thought was long gone. I've tried throwing it out repeatedly, but its always lurking in a box. I believe it's my husbands doing.

I've always been interested in quilting and had no clue how they made such beautiful quilts. Had no clue about quilt shops or quilt patterns, just knew they were beautiful pieces of art work. I'm talking 20 years ago. I was completely clueless.

I could sew, cross stitch, and even crochet. All thanks to my mom, she taught me well. Quilting to me was something the pioneers did. I never realized there were still quilters. I know laugh at me and my ignorance.

What brings this all back to mind is my very first attempt at quilting 18 and a half years ago. I had just discovered I was pregnant and so desperately wanted to make a quilt. So, I had an idea in my head and just winged it. No pattern, no one telling me if I was doing it correct, no batting, and no quarter inch seams.

I didn' t attempt another quilt until my third pregnancy. By then I had learned some things. It was done by hand (my sewing machine being kaput at the time). Still no batting, this is Texas, and it was a summer baby. It turned out beautifuly, sad to say it was lost in a move.

A year later I learned to quilt and its intricacies from a neighbor. She had me quilt the Heartland Zoo Babies for a friend. Lots of tiny pieces.

From there I made many a baby quilt. Then started making quilts for my own family. Made my first queen size quilt for my 10th anniversary for my husband and I.

There is nothing like stitching a quilt for someone with best wishes and love.

My Anniversary Quilt

My First Attempt at Quilting

My First Quilt Pattern that I was
taught to use

No comments:

Post a Comment